I'm a British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP) accredited and registered counsellor / psychotherapist who has been working therapeutically with people in a variety of settings for over twenty years. My therapeutic work initially began in my work roles in educational settings with vulnerable young men and women in schools, community projects and Home Office secure accommodation.
During the mid-1990s I became increasingly interested in deeper psychological ways of working with people of all ages and, in 1996, I began to undertake various certificated qualifications in counselling, therapy, psychology and supervision. These include:
- Advanced diploma in therapeutic counselling (University of Cambridge)
- Developmental psychology (Open University)
- Postgraduate diploma in therapeutic counselling (University of Cambridge)
- Certificate in integrative supervision (Cambridge Supervision Training).
As a therapist, coach and supervisor I have worked in numerous settings including:
- psychotherapy at Psychological Treatments Services, Addenbrooke's Hospital
- counselling students at the University of Cambridge
- groupwork with male and female young offenders
- group facilitation with young women in severe welfare need
- group and individual supervision for organisations such as the Cogwheel Trust, Choices and Cambridge Regional College
- mentoring and supervision for the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music.
An important part of training to become the therapist I am is that I also spent many hours in therapy myself. This helps me to understand some of the difficulties you may have in coming to counselling or psychotherapy.
My own experience of counselling and psychotherapy included a twice weekly Jungian analysis, which has helped to inform my work. Currently, I draw professionally on many other therapeutic models within psychodynamic, humanistic and cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) frameworks. Click on my How I Work page to find out about my current way of working.
I am an accredited and registered member of the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy and am bound by the BACP’s Ethical Framework for Good Practice. I appear on BACP's accredited voluntary register. You can view my details on the BACP website.
I am also registered with the General Hypnotherapy Register and agree to their ethical code when carrying out any hypnotherapy consultations. You can view my details on the GHR register.
Writing and media
As an author, my first book, Turned On: Intimacy in a pornized society (THE WiTTING PRESS) was published in June 2010. I have also written articles and contributed to magazines as diverse as Therapy Today and Glamour and consulted for broadcast media such as Channel 4 and BBC 3, making contributions to programmes like Channel 4's Porn on the Brain.
I am an active networker and I am always pleased to make professional connections with other therapists whether they live close to the areas I work in (Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, Bristol, Bath and Somerset) or much further afield.
therapy-space cambridge Duncan E. Stafford MBACP Accredited and Registered.
COUNSELLING AND PSYCHOTHERAPY IN CAMBRIDGE AND ONLINE FOR WOMEN AND MEN OF ALL AGES